Re: How does an ipod connect to the internet?

fixed

Yes. Under Settings it shows the wireless networks it has found. You simply select the one you wish to connect to and enter the key. It'll connect automatically whenever that network is available, as long as you don't turn WiFi off.

On a long car trip (I've taken a few with an iPod!), as you suggested, you only 'get what you've got': only songs, videos, apps + app data that you've already loaded are accessible until you sync again.

It's essentially an iPhone minus the phone stack. You *can* simulate such via Skype when you're on WiFi, but YMMV.