We pre-install ours too. But my points directly relate to Jon's use of it.

Jon's issue was that the client was not going to allow any software installed on their PC's. I was also pointing out that if you use internal addressing (as we do - 10.10x.xxx.xxx), the remote PC wouldn't be reachable from his desktop anyway.

I'll have to look into the "listening viewer". That's a new one on me and would be very helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 10:17 AM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Remote control of Windows PC

We're getting a bit off-track, now.

(This doesn't help Jon, but...) in our shop, we preinstall VNC on all of
our company machines. We've also built a custom install of VNC that any
of our users can download and install on their PCs that sets things up
for our company the way we need them.

So the installation could certainly be an issue in some shops, but in
ours it's not.

The way we solve the "visible" IP problem is by using VNC's "listening
viewer" along with our preinstalled icons. We just have to tell the
user to click the VNC server icon, followed by the "connect to support"
icon, and then it comes up on our desktops. It's very easy, and the
only place a special port needs to be opened is on our company network
-- which I'm able to do. Since we use the listening viewer approach,
nothing needs to be done on the remote end.