Den 01/07/11 15.16, David Gibbs skrev:
On 7/1/2011 4:08 AM, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
Normally the software updates occasionally need to update a essential
component, requiring a reboot to do so. This frequency seems
reasonable to me for non-essential production. A year seems quite
long - what distribution are you running?
Heh ... this is Fedora 10 ... quite out of date. Hasn't gotten an update in a few years.

My plan is to move it to a xen hosted CentOS instance sometime this year. This particular server is the most complex (the other server has already been migrated).
Oh the joys of moving distributions. I personally like the Ubuntu Server edition. Also the LTS usually mean that you do not have to do much for quite long periods of time.

I do not know if the RedHat world has a similar thing?
The fsck is not necessarily required, but is most likely triggered
because the mount command has been configured (usually by the vendor)
to invoke a full fsck regularily. Modern journalling file systems
do not require this, so it is just to play safe.
The defaults were probably use when the ext3 file system was created. I _may_ have tweaked them a little, but not much.
Then I think it fsck's every 20 reboots or 180 days.

tune2fs (or similar) knows how to change it.