This link shows supported Windows operating systems and .NET Framework
versions (4.0, 3.5 (3.0), 2.0) - scroll down to the "Supported Client
Operating Systems" section:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(v=VS.100).aspx

This link shows supported Windows operating systems for .NET Framework 1.1,
this will work with the Windows NT 4.0 workstation or Windows NT 4.0 Server
operating systems:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww(v=VS.71).aspx

This link gets you to the MSFT site for .NET Framework V2.0 redistributable
(with links to other versions). You can install these redistributables on
client PCs that require the Framework that you are targeting. This installs
just the run-time support, not development support (similar to installing
JRE instead of JDK/JRE):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b
0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

In VS2010 you can select which version of the Framework you want your app to
target, back to 2.0. There is an option to "install other frameworks", I
don't know if it is possible to target the 1.1 Framework in VS2010. It might
be convenient to use VS2008 to target the 1.1 Framework. You can install
VS2008 side-by-side with VS2010.

It appears that you are developing/deploying a Windows Form app, if you
target Framework 2.0, you'll have good support for all of the Windows Form
features that were available in VB6 (for that matter, Framework 1.1 also has
good support). So it might be worthwhile going ahead with the .NET version
instead of VB6.

In IBM i terms, what you're trying to do is similar to developing an ILE RPG
app at V7.1, then attempting to port it back to a V4Rx environment. Going
backwards, you drop features, in both the language and the runtime
environment. So rather than target Framework 4.0, if you know you need
backwards compatibility, start with a version (2.0) that is supported on the
older operating systems.

Craig Pelkie