"Perhaps a different option instead of attempting to prevent the
transaction is to just modify the date to the next day."

We thought about that. But since I have to do this for eight files (which
are linked by a common transaction number), there's always the very remote
possibility of one file being maintained before the specified time and
another being updated after the specified time. I know it would likely be
in milliseconds but it could still lead to inconsistency between the
transaction dates. That's why we thought it would just be best to prevent
any of the updates. BUT it just dawned on me that the same thing could
happen and that would be that I could allow a record to be written to one
file while other records are prevented from being written...

So that leads me to wonder if the "trigger begin time" in this case could
be set to send notifications beginning at 5:45 pm, and it would inform the
user that month end begins in 15 minutes and that they need to log off
(and there's no guarantee that they would log off). But I'd have to be
able to detect if the activity is in batch or interactive, and then
there's the database activity that occurs during the month end process on
the affected files themselves.

I guess we need to reconsider how we should best approach this. Maybe an
allocate object solution is in order and see who it ends up offending, and
that would let us determine what users would need access to the
files/processes during month end. (It's easier to ask forgiveness than to
get permission;)

"AFAIK, if you write BEFORE UPDATE and/or BEFORE INSERT triggers, you
can't specify INSERT. UPDATE or DELETE sentences in your trigger BUT, what
happens
if you do a AFTER INSERT trigger and, if necessary, delete the new record?
Ditto for DELETE. If needed, rewrite the same record..."

Wouldn't that result in recursive calls of the trigger program or is that
prevented by the allow repeated change parm on ADDPFTRG?

Thanks for all the input! Something to think about over the weekend.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern - Information Technology
Programming Supervisor
IBM Certified RPG IV Developer
Lotus Notes/Domino 8.0.1 Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the
sender by reply e-mail and destroy this and all copies of this message.