There are also a lot of decent machines priced in the middle. Around 5
pounds, 14" screens, dual-core CPUs from either AMD or Intel, and decent
specs lead to a good, if average, laptop experience for $550 and up. Maybe
call those the Domino's Pizza equivalent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940032%20103980224&name=14%22%20-%2014.1%22

I know people with netbooks and they like them just fine. When I took a
serious look at them, though, I determined they weren't going to give me a
satisfactory computing experience. I don't see the newer Atom CPUs changing
that.

Another thought is to wait for upcoming tablet-like devices like the HP
Slate (running either Windows or webOS) or look to other
non-traditional/tablet devices like the iPad (I'm not an Apple fan but the
device is there if it'd fit your needs). Hmm. Maybe call that the
California Pizza Kitchen alternative.

Good thing I already had lunch. :)