From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Jones
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 2:00 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Outlook Express 6.0

Given "But it's more a matter of time than money getting it done." I'll
assume you can spend a few bucks. If that's the case, for a fast & stable
fresh install:

1. Buy a good 60-80GB SSD like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023. Remove old
HD & replace with SSD.
2. Do a clean install of (XP + SP3 + updates) or (Win7 + updates);
whichever. IMHO go Win7 if you have 2+GB RAM and a dual-core or better CPU.
3. Install & update AV, browser of choice, office suite of choice
immediately. Do other apps as you need them.
4. After the above, install the old HD as a data drive. Ideally, back off
your data, reformat it, then restore, but you might just leave it around to
look at old app settings and whatnot.

Since this is partly to overcome stability issues I'd recommend against any
kind of Windows re-install or side-by-side. Make as clean a break as you
can. And if you're considering a separate drive to become the new C:, go
SSD if you can afford it. Compare boot times to get an idea how much better
an SSD can be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt6VbOY3xE0. This one (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elujjdo_8XU&feature=related ) is fun since it
also shows Eclipse being loaded (boot + Eclipse + Word & Outlook in under 40
seconds).