On 19 February 2010 22:34, CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  FWiW... From the prior thread, I decided to & downloaded, then
ran the CCleaner.  For the Registry it has a "Scan for Issues" and
then the list of "issues" is presented; every entry\issue is
pre-checked for "cleaning".  Simply uncheck any in the list that
give concerns for their loss [I left several], and then click the
"Fix selected issues" button; scanning again shows those same
entries that were previously unchecked.

  CCleaner is much prettier and has IMO, a safer-feel than other
registry cleaners that I have used in the past [two, but I do not
recall names of either; I uninstalled each, immediately after use,
whereas I have left CCleaner on my system].  Although the software
enabled a "backup registry first?" option, I chose to instead use
the Start->Run->regedit for its [OS] backup feature before running
the CCleaner.

I really like CCleaner as well, for securely cleaning out accumulated
junk as much as for the registry scan and fix. Make sure you get the
proper Piriform download though. I recommended it a few weeks ago to a
colleague who was having issues with his PC, and he complained the
next day that it seemed like one of these spoof scans that detect
false viruses then try to con you into downloading their Trojan. Turns
out one of these sites is using the name CCleaner. When he later found
and downloaded the correct Piriform CCleaner he was very pleased with
it.