Expand "Developer Tools". Older versions of Visual Basic are available for download for MSDN subscribers.

Craig Pelkie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shannon ODonnell" <sodonnell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users'" <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 7:55 PM
Subject: [PCTECH] Where to get copy of VB 3.0 and 4.0

Hi,

I need to look at some really old VB code. It was written with VB 3.0 and
then later updated, slightly, using VB 4.0.

The client is still running the executable to manage an integral part of
their business, and it is running on Windows 95.

In fact, they purchased a fairly decent computer and then had to downgrade
it like crazy to get Windows 95 installed on it, just so they could keep
running this code.

My preference would be simply to rewrite this whole thing, especially since
it's not that big of a piece of software.

However, the client wants to see if we can add some additional functionality
to the existing code and then go from there.

From the fragments of form files and other files the vendor left them.it
appears, on first glance (I have not yet spent much time digging into this
yet. That's a project for tomorrow afternoon.) that most of the forms are
there, but none of the program code is there.

So right off the bat, I don't even know if I could compile this thing (for
sure I can't at the moment) even if I did make changes to the form.

One thought I had was to attempt to decompile the program object (.exe file)
and rebuild the whole thing from that. Given that it's a very old version
of VB, I'd think my chances of decompiling are a lot better than if it was
VB 6 or later. But I have no direct experience of doing this to base that
assumption on.

So.I guess if there's a question among all this rambling it would be.where
can I look, online, to find a copy of the old VB development tools?

Thanks,

Shannon O'Donnell