Greetings.

My understanding is that the Y has a third party ("A") hosting their shared
files, another ("B") hosting their web site, and another ("C") which
actually processes the credit card transactions. I presume that the
file-sharing host (A) is the one pushing back.

1- The PCI audit is primarily about how credit card and cardholder
information is secured. Any of the third parties where card holder data is
stored must be included in the audit. C clearly must be included. B most
likely is not included. A must be included if individual transaction or
card information ends up stored there.

2- That any of the third parties is pushing back against this should raise
the hairs on the back of your neck. They should be able to provide the info
necessary for the audit, although I can see them wanting clear
non-disclosures executed for all concerned.

3- I can see them not wanting to have their networks probed and scanned.
Unless it is called for in an agreement, the Y likely can't require them to
consent. The Y should be able to push back about risky, intrusive and
possibly destructive testing. DO NOT APPROVE scans of the third parties
without permission of the third party.

4- The Y should request a "SAS 70" report from each of the third parties (A,
B, C and ADP). This is a standardized audit report. It is not related to
PCI, but it is standard for demonstrating Sarb-Ox compliance and may well
have sufficient info to satisfy the PCI auditors.

Good luck!
---------
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx