From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger Harman
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:20 PM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] What Device is Using an IP Address

Sorry, don't know about the Windows side. We're running NetWare.

Jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/04/2009 9:30:19 AM >>>
Roger,

Thanks. I have seen references to netstat in the forums, but never used
it or even wondered what it was for.

And, of course, it did the job from the System i side. Is there,
though, a way to determine what device is using each ip address from the
Windows server side? All of our ip addresses are assigned by DHCP (is
that right?) from, in our case, the Windows 2003 server. Not every ip
address will be used by the System i. For example, we have a time clock
in our warehouse that has an ip address that is polled regularly.

It would, also, be nice to know what ip addresses are available. For
example, an exception to the DHCP assignment are our System i's, which
we assign via CFGTCP to each i.

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst