Cleaned 3 times a week? Seriously ? They just changed our once a week
cleaning to once every two weeks :-)

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Jeff Crosby
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:17 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] Why require CTRL+ALT+DEL for XP sigon

All,

We have 3 users whose PCs are started via WOL at 5am. All 3 are XP Pro
and
are in locked offices. The primary reason for this 5am WOL is so that
things like AV scan, spyware scan, any backup, etc, would be done before
they got here.

Until last June, they were also set up for autologin (TweakUI), meaning
the
user was logged on and they had various applications
(Outlook/Thunderbird,
5250 sessions, etc) start before they got here. That always bugged me a
bit, but, as I said, they were behind locked doors. When we set up a
domain
at that time, autologin went away due to requiring CAD to log in.

I get asked repeatedly to go back to allowing autologin. I know how to
do
that on a PC by PC basis via gpedit.msc, but I am loathe to do so. The
network consultant is as well, he says he has NEVER set up a non-server
PC
to do this. He suggested I tell them 1) if they leave their garage door
up,
they won't have to hit the button to open it when they get home, and 2)
if
they leave their house unlocked, they won't have to use a key to get in.
<g>

I have read the MS documentation which says:

"If this policy is enabled on a computer, a user is not required to
press
CTRL+ALT+DEL to log on. Not having to press CTRL+ALT+DEL leaves users
susceptible to attacks that attempt to intercept the users' passwords.
Requiring CTRL+ALT+DEL before users log on ensures that users are
communicating by means of a trusted path when entering their passwords."

The offices are cleaned 3 times a week. Without the CAD restriction,
either
the cleaning person or a night warehouseman could press the POWER button
and
be good to go.

What else can I give them as reasons?

Thanks.