On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 01:33, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roaming profiles get corrupted often? ÂI will have to look into tthat as
well.

They do if they're not handled "properly". I put that into quotes,
because noone really knows what "properly" means.

The gist of it is that roaming profiles are last write wins - that
means that whichever client you logout last will win when writing the
profile to the server. This can have particularly nasty effects when
some programs use multiple files for configurations.

On legacy platforms (XP/2003), you will also have to worry about
ntuser.dat, which is the HKCU key of registry. Some software may cause
this to still be locked, which will cause the sync to the server to
fail - with the result that the users settings will not be backed up.

UPHClean is the solution to that - can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

Note that this must be installed on the clients and terminal server.
(If your consultant is good, he already did that)

In my experience, for best results with roaming profiles:

* Limit profile size to 20MB or another, very small value (this can be
enforced using group policy)
* Exclude applications that generate a large number of files in the
roaming part of the profile
* Avoid users being signed on multiple machines
* Use folder redirection as much as possible
* Do not use roaming profiles as a backup

The less it has to sync, the less can break. I usually tend to avoid
roaming profiles when running full clients - in a terminal server
setting they're okay and usually work well due to the heavily
controlled and limited environment, but with full clients - especially
when random apps will get installed - they're just an issue waiting to
crop up again.

The stability of roaming profiles has been markedly improved with
Vista and 7, and the local shadow copies can be very helpful when
trying to resolve profile issues.

Your PST issue with Google Apps - i see no real solution for that,
except the backup routine you've already implemented. PST files can
not be used over an SMB connection, so storing them on the server
isn't an option:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019