From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Tom Liotta
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 5:28 PM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Domain users

Jeff Crosby wrote:

He wants a list of all users on the domain.

Jeff:

Your System i users aren't on the domain. (Keep reading.)

But note that your _people_ might be logged onto the domain _and_
the System i at the same time. They might even have user names on
the domain and user profiles on the System i that are spelled the
same including same case. But those are two distinct and separate
objects; three, if you count actual 'people'.

What he likely needs are whatever user names are used on the various
PCs, those that are 'local users', the ones that your people use to
log onto their PCs. These are most easily seen by pressing
[CtlAltDel]. The message box tells you what user name you're logged
on as -- "Tom Liotta is logged on as TOMLXLT/toml." That tells me
that my user name on *this* laptop is [toml].

Hmmm... I don't have Vista handy. It might show differently. I have
Win2k on this laptop, but the desktops next to it are WinXP and look
the same at that point.

Of course, if your people aren't even setting passwords on their PCs...?

As for password rules, these will be the rules that you want for the
domain. These might be similar to your System i rules, or they might
be very different. You pick. There will almost certainly be differences.

Personally, if I was starting to move people onto a domain where
none had ever existed, I'd keep rules pretty basic at first; and
then I'd be careful about phasing any other rules in over time.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.