On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM, sjl <sjl_abc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am currently working for a global pharmaceutical company that has a
seemingly rigorous methodology for implementing changes, largely due to the
United States Food and Drug Administration requirement that systems be
'Validated'. Not all of our systems are Validated, but that is about to
change. Pretty soon all systems here will need Validation.

<snip>

*Very* generally speaking, I understand the rigor of locking down and
controlling critical systems. I once read an article several years ago
which described how NASA programmers do their code reviews, in a room with
several peers tearing down every single line of code, and asking questions
for each one, like "what could go wrong with this line of code?" It was a
fascinating read.

Most of my frustration in working through some problems here are that it's
difficult to determine the "owner" of a particular resource and, because the
"owner" more often than not turns out to be a faceless name (the
"mothership" is 200 miles away in another state), usually take their sweet
time responding to our little problems, especially if they don't immediately
affect a critical business system. Ergo, while the correct solution would
be the better way to go, to do so sometimes means waiting until the problem
becomes a much larger issue. As such, we've become accustomed to creating
workarounds which end up taking more of our time than if we'd had the
necessary resources or privileges available to work with.

- Dan, pining for the days of working in a 5-man shop, holding all of the
keys to the kingdom.