From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
Sent: Tuesday, 26 May 2009 5:56 p.m.
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] PC UPDATEusing MS ACCESS 2002

Evan Harris escribió:
How are you actually trying to execute the query, i.e. run the SQL ?
Your best bet might be to use access itself. Start Access, Select Design a
query, select the SQL mode(top left corner) and dump in your SQL to the
editor window. Try and fix the errors you get from there. I've found
access
to be somewhat helpful when trying to do this kind of stuff. You can go
back
and forth between the design mode and the SQL mode if it helps you get
the
right answer.

That's exactly the way I'm doing
There is an option to make the query an update query - it's an icon on the
tool bar but the picture escapes (maybe a pen or something) - you may need
to click that icon.

When the SQL sentence is fully writen, and *before* executing it (by
clicking on the "*!*" icon that will run the execution), just on its
left, there is a small icon, with a <pencil plus a smaller yet "!">
combo that expands to the list of various Query types, the "Updatable
Query" being selected.
Then, run the SQL with <*!*> and, again, the error message pops up:

"La operacion debe usar una consulta actualizable" (translate from
Spanish, so may not be the exact english words, but... "Operation must use
an updatable query"... )

What version of query is the database you are trying to update ? Is Access
trying to save you from yourself and preventing untrusted operations (a
most
infuriating feature) ?

FWIW, WinXP Prof + SP3, MS Office (Access, ...) 2002 + SP3

Yes it seems Access is trying to save me from myself preventing
untrusted operations... but, then, what is the small combo mentioned
above (the one that expands to various Query types...) good for?

Thanks for any additional help...
Antonio
This thread seems not to have received any answer...
Let me try it again.

FWIW, using WinXP + SP3, MS Office XP (2002) + SP3:

In a small PC project we are using MS Access 2002.
I have an Access table that is partially incorrect in a certain field
values.
I'm trying to UPDATE it, using corrected values from a different but
similar table.

Found in the Archives the following thread, and changed it to fit my
needs.

UPDATE Table1 AS t1
SET Vendido = (Select Vendido
from Table2 t2
Where t1.ID = t2.ID)
WHERE EXISTS (Select 1
from Table2 t2
Where t1.ID = t2.ID);

When I try to execute, Access gives me an error "La operacion debe usar
una consulta actualizable" (translate from Spanish, so may not be the
exact english words, but... "Operation must use an updatable query"... )
where Help is of no joy...

Of course, I'm logged as System Administrator, all rights, dedicated
system...
Am I missing something?

Does anybody know if Access 2002 supports this kind of <Update a table
from another table> using EXISTS as suggested for a different case in
the Archives?