sjl wrote:
Tom wrote:
What were the alternatives available at your parents' home?

Practically none where they live (in Seagoville, Texas). There is a dearth of broadband alternatives other than DirectPC or using a USB 3G adapter like I use in my laptop.

Steve:

Yeah, that's often the big snag.

The first _advertised_ DSL availability that _seemed_ to apply to our address was through Earthlink.

When I contacted them, they did some detailed searching through whatever they refer to as "data" and had to tell me that they couldn't do it for my specific road. Rather, they said that their high-speed package was only available through ComCast cable at my address (along our road). They had an agreement of some sort between them for various non-urban areas -- which does make some sense to me.

I replied that ComCast did not provide cable service anywhere in the nearby surrounding area, so I wondered why Earthlink couldn't go the other route. Apparently, their "data" simply said it couldn't be done; but would I like to be on their waiting list? Sure, might as well.

Sometime later... a year? two? Not sure. Our phone provider -- CenturyTel -- started advertising DSL service. Some inquiries brought positive results; it looked like we were fully within the range of the nearest remote terminal for DSL.

I checked back with Earthlink to see if conditions had changed for them. The results were unchanged.

I went with CenturyTel because there simply was no alternative that I could find. (I've been plenty satisfied, so no complaints for overall service.)

In the meantime, a good buddy of mine was working for AT&T Wireless, Seibel, Cingular, and back again, as mergers and buy-outs were going on. He was developing SQL and related objects for apps that inventoried equipment, circuits, etc. Conversations with him helped me gain a slightly clearer picture.

In general, _none_ of the various providers are ever certain of what equipment and/or circuits they have at any stated location. Unless a crew actually goes and looks, and accurately records results, their databases often mislead whatever reps you talk to. Although queries can often be sent through the networks to retrieve equipment info, that's seldom how sales rep and even tech reps get to review things. They see whatever's been stored in SQL Server or Oracle or DB2 and made available to them.

The databases can be massive, complex, poorly constructed and maintained. It struck me that they're pretty much just average guys working under dumb directions from above, making contradictory changes from one week to the next...

IOW, much like any significant company, there are always messes. Sometimes customers get lucky. Other times, they're screwed.

Tom Liotta