On 9/19/2008 12:19 AM, Lukas Beeler arranged the binary bits such that:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Roger Vicker, CCP <rv-tech@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After the Windows splash screen from the reboot it BSOD'd with
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED Stop 0x000006b (0x0000007a, 0x00000008,
0x00000000, 0x00000000). Same thing with safe modes. BOO!!!

Okay, i believe you probably already found this link, but i'll paste it anway:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163240

Yes. It talks about NT and had a different first parm but I tried it
anyway without progress.
To me, it looks like either your backup itself is faulty or your
restore procedure. I don't know ArcServe, so i can't tell which one it
is.

A thing you might want to try is a repair install with a CD that has
the same service pack level as the current backup should have. If
necessary, you might need to slipstream a CD yourself.

I've slipstreamed several CDs/DVDs of MS OSs using nLite, so no problem
there.

The repair produced a new BSOD. STOP c000021a {Fatal Error} The session
manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc0000263 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
to restore everything including the registry and AD with full overwrite.

So the machine is a domain controller? A domain controller should not
be restored from Backup, usually. Instead, you use ntdsutil metadata
cleanup to remove the old DC account from AD, and then reinstall a
blank machine and promote it using dcpromo. It will then replicate all
it's AD data from one of your other DCs.

Still, restoring a DC from Backup should still be possible, and
shouldn't be a problem as long as the backup isn't later than the
tombstone lifetime of your domain.

This is a ONE server, 8 user, small shop so there is no other DCs. I
found that BAB has an addon ($$$) option for image backup. After I get
them to a functional level I will promote they buy this option as a
"smoother" restore in case of another disaster.

Funny how surviving a couple of times, painlessly, what would otherwise
be a disaster (disk failure) changes your view. RAID 5 can give you a
*FALSE* sense of invulnerability. After three failed disks they looked
at backup as a way to undo user mistakes rather than protection from
total loss. Now that they _know_ that even RAID can fail they will look
at the backup a little more critically.

Oh well. On to plan E. After this many tries it looks like it will only
take four hours or so unless something else goes wront. ;-) If it
goes wrong, it probably would have anyway. We've already got three times
that invested so it is time to cut the losses and move on.

Thanks.

Roger