Nathan Andelin wrote:

Do end-user departments have budget for computers? When users need
new
PCs, do they decide XP, Vista, Mac, Linux? What about application
decisions?

No, they don't get to pick the hardware, unless it's some kind of an
application specific requirement. They can go so far as to say they'd like a
dual monitor setup with 21" LCD's, for example, but they do not get to pick
whether it's from HP or Dell. Our discount levels are based upon minimum
volumes, so all purchasing is centralized.

They cannot pick their own OS based upon personal preference alone. If there
is a specific application that requires a different OS (ie: Mac), then the
application of course would dictate the OS. But this hasn't happened yet.
With the exception of a custom ERP on OS/400, all of our software is
currently Windows based.

Application decisions are made cooperatively between business units and I.T.

Users are encouraged to suggest new applications that they come across which
might help them in their job. This actually only happens once in a blue
moon, because evaluating new software takes effort that most users simply
aren't interested in putting in.

More often than not, it's the departmental manager that drives the
acquisition of new software. I prefer to let them own the project, and
thereby do up the requirements, contact vendors, play with demos etc. I'm
available to answer questions while they go through the process, but pretty
much keep my nose out of it until they at least have it down to a short list
of potential packages. At that point I.T. gets involved in the project to
ensure that there are no technical hurdles, or potential problems (ie:
purchasing a 50 user system that relies on an Access database). We also
evaluate it from a broader perspective than the departmental manager is
concerned with. For example, how can the application be integrated with
application "X" in department "Y". That kind of thing.

Overall, our users are encouraged to focus on the objective that they'd like
to achieve, and not the mechanics of the implementation. Again, they just
seem to understand this concept. When our sales department takes an order
for delivery, they tell the shipping department what to ship, where to ship
it, and when it needs to be there. They don't go out into the warehouse and
start telling the driver how to tarp the load, or asking the shipper to send
it via UPS instead of our trucks because they like brown UPS uniforms better
than ours.

Anyway, I'm surprised you're even interested. I doubt anyone else is. :))

John Taylor