Good luck finding drivers for Dell stuff, especially printers! :)

Don in DC

-----Original Message-----
From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Paul Stagnoli
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 11:50 AM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Paul Stagnoli
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Linux Developer Laptop

Your best bet is to download and try a couple of different Linux
live-CDs (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, Knoppix, Fedora, or Puppy Linux). The
cool thing about the live-CDs is you don't write anything to the hard
drive, so you don't have to commit to anything more than booting from a
CD. The live-CDs also help you discover who is supporting the Dell's
hardware the best. Wireless support may become the "deal maker" in
choosing a particular distribution.

I think your choice of Ubuntu is a good start. Remember Ubuntu's GUI is
very similar to a Mac. Kubuntu is going to more familiar to a Windows
user. Debian is for the more advanced user. Puppy Linux and its cousins
are very small distributions designed for really old hardware and tight
disk space usage, or USB drives.

Good Luck,

Paul

NOTICE: This E-mail, including attachments, is the property of the Exchange
Bank. The contents of this E-mail are protected by the Federal
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521. The contents of
this E-mail are confidential and contain the legally privileged
communication of the Exchange Bank. If you are not the intended recipient,
any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited by Federal law. Please reply to the sender that you
have received the E-mail message in error, and then delete the E-mail
message.