David Gibbs wrote:

Just found this via lifehacker ... http://www.linux.com/feature/133849

Pretty interesting.

I have a normal ethernet/NIC card and a second USB ethernet port on one of my PCs at home. I have the USB going to an old hub that leads to a DSL modem. The other ethernet connection goes to a Linksys wireless router that uplinks to the same hub.

Kind of pointless at first glance, but it's been incredibly useful.

The Linksys does DHCP for my home network and NAT for the link to DSL. A bunch of other systems are on my home network.

With that setup, I can do all kinds of screwups to my router without losing a connection to the internet. I can test any kind of filtering, port-forwarding, you name it, without the slightest interruption to accessing whatever on-line specs and forums I need while doing so. (And I really need those when I get into that kind of mood!)

Most of time, it's pointless for me. When it's useful, there's nothing else that comes close. Cheap, too. The USB port can be enabled/disabled with ease.

Tom Liotta