From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Walden H. Leverich
Sent: 28 April 2008 14:52
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] downgrade a notebook from Vista to XP

Mark,

IF (note the IF) you acquired the license to Vista as part of a
corporate agreement with MS (Open, Select, EA, etc) then the licenses
include the right to run a back-level copy of the software. That is, a
Vista license is also an XP license, an Office 2K7 license is also an
Office 2K3 license, etc. You will need your own copy of the media, and
you'd need to contact MS licensing for the key (or use an existing
volume key). And you can run one _or_ the other, not one and the other.
:)

However, IF you got the Vista license from retail or OEM (as in, with a
new laptop you bought from Dell) then you do not have back-level rights
and you'd need to buy a license for XP.

-Walden