I used to think as you do ... but after playing around with an iPhone a
bit, I really like it (http://www.geekyramblings.org/2008/03/16/iphone/).
re: 5. The pseudo GPS functionality is very cool

This does sound very cool, and must be triangulation. Lets see, I will
guess, my phone would have to ask 3 cell towers for their coordinates
and time-cycle of my signal to calculate a distance for me from each
tower, unless the signal is more directional than I imagine. The phone
seems to be the only logical place to do the calculation. Then my cell
tells Google map to position at that coordinate....very nice. That
would be a buying factor without paying a monthly rate for the
feature.

One feature I have not seen and would like is: When I get out of the
plane and go to rent the car, it would be nice if my phone said "this
area has a law against driving while talking on the cell phone" or
not, I usually forget to ask the rental agent.
It might be about time for me to hunt down a "cell phones for dummies"
primer. As it is now, I too just prefer to talk on "the phone".