David Gibbs wrote:
I really really REALLY hate applications that steal focus.

I was in the midst of writing a message to someone that was fairly long & involved, while at the same time installing an upgrade to zonealarm in the background.

All of a sudden the zonealarm installer popped up a dialog asking me if I wanted to restart my machine ... on top of tbird ... at the exact moment I was about to press enter. Since I wasn't really paying attention to the screen, and the restart dialog defaults to YES, I simply pressed enter and my machine began to restart. Obviously I lost the message I had been typing for the past 10 minutes.

I really wish app developers would get a clue about how to write their programs.
Three different issues, all incredibly important. First is stealing focus; I hate that as much as you do, although it's important sometimes. What is needed is a couple of trays for "important" messages, and the ability to assign messages a priority. Second is the ability to choose proper defaults. A default that reboots your machine is about as brain-dead as you can get. And finally, I'd like to be able to add certain safeguards especially to the reboot process so that I could indicate that if Program A is open, reboot can be canceled.

Most of this stuff is available; it's just a matter of programming.

Joe