David Gibbs wrote:
Joe Pluta wrote:
Remind me to show you my new iPhone :)
Eh. I'm not wowed by the iPhone. Not my cup of tea. I like keyboards. Not to mention the fact that trying to see anything on the iPhone website requires QuackTime, which I refuse to install on any machine in my house.

Mind you I don't use the camera that much, but the email, browser, maps,
etc, are getting to be darn useful.
That's why I pose the question. I'd rather have a larger screen for things like that, especially browsing. Even a 7" screen at 800x480 is a little on the cramped side for browsing. Since the iPhone is half the size and less than half the resolution, I can't see it as a useful browser. And the next generation out later this year will be the same size but with a 9" screen with 1024x600 resolution.

I had thought about getting one of the really small notebooks, but decided against it. I usually travel with my laptop ... I need a boat load of storage for pictures and like to have the full capability when I need it. Even remoting into a desktop isn't sufficient.
I travel, too, and I'm getting tired of dragging my laptop out of my bag at every airport. I'm going to try taking just the Eee to my next gig. I don't need terabytes of disk space on the road; if I need that, I'll bring the laptop. And if I do need another few GB, I can stop in the local big box store and pick up another chip.

I like the Eee because I can take it to the store. I can sit on the couch with it and use it to scan TV Guide. You could do these things with a smartphone, I guess, but that's not my direction. I think the technology convergence will affect everyone differently, and for those of us who like phones to be small, a subnotebook is just the answer.

Joe