On 05/03/2008, Chuck Lewis <chuck.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

Just got a new Toshiba notebook here at work and when at home I connect to
our Linksys wireless router. The router is a year, maybe a year and a half
old.

Both the notebook's wireless card and the wireless router are/support G
(802.11g standard).

Connecting with WPA2. I connect at 54 and Excellent and it is fine for a
while and then it just goes to nothing even though it says I'm connected at
54 and Excellent.

An older notebook my wife uses is just fine less then 10 feet from me.

What the heck could be going on ?

Chuck

I had something similar with a new laptop and a LinkSys router. Turned
out I'd not set the wireless algorithms the same on the laptop (TKIP)
as on the router (TKIP+AES). The laptop offered Auto or TKIP (this is
on Linux - not sure if XP/Vista give a choice) and I'd chosen the
later. Until I corrected that I'd had frequent disconnects even though
it still registered as connected with good signal strength. It's not
had a problem since then.

Regards, Martin