As an alternative to the Kindle you could look at the similarly priced
Asus Eee PC[1]. There is an obvious difference in technology - the
Asus is a laptop after all, but the form factor isn't too dissimilar

Eee PC
9" x 6.5" x 1" 2 pounds (22.5cm x 16cm x 2.5cm - 920g)
7" 800x480 full colour screen

Kindle
7.5" x 5.3" x 0.7" 10.3 oz (19cm x 13.5cm x 2cm 290g)
6" 800x600 4 colour gray scale.

The Eee PC includes Adobe Acrobat reader and also a very nice ebook
reader - FBreader <http://www.fbreader.org/>. It takes an SD card for
extra storage (like the Kindle). If you're using plucker format ebooks
from the likes of Project Gutenberg <http://www.gutenberg.org> you can
read them in portrait mode in FBReader and hold the laptop like a book
(a bit heavier than your average paperback, but I have plenty of
hardback books that are bigger & heavier).

Regards, Martin