On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If there is anything in the System i that you don't perceive to be as
good as Microsoft, be it function or price or marketing or whatever, you
complain long and loud about how awful IBM is and basically make it seem
like only an idiot would use their products. Yet when Microsoft has an
obviously and inarguably inferior product that is clearly lagging behind
competitive products, you say they are "coming en par".

Well, the venue of this forum is IBM's System i, so i don't think
complaining about Microsoft's product will be doing any good here. I
usually complain about Microsoft's product in Microsoft forums /
mailinglists / whatever.

I'm not saying that i'm not influenced, and i certainly am more
"pro-MS" than "pro-IBM". The reason for this is pretty simple, mostly
owed due to the company i work in. Most of our devs are diehard IBM
fans that bash MS at every opportunity they get (which is not fair, in
any way). So i just started doing the exact opposite ;)

I certainly do not hate the System i. In May, i will have three years
of Experience on the platform. I've been pushing modernization,
integration, V6R1 readiness and other things internally. I use Linux
to run many parts of my companies infrastructure, and my blog runs on
Linux too.

I think platform diversity is very important for the market. Look what
a piece of shit IE6 has become, and how Firefox/Opera have forced
Microsoft to fix many outstanding issues. Now, IE7 still sucks, but at
least it sucks a lot less than IE6 (and there are also nice features
in IE7 like Protected Mode).

i5/OS has many nice concepts that make it easy to administrate it.
Heck, i've replaced systems running our ERP package in 3-4 hours (yes,
those were very small customers). That's all very nice. But i'm a
technician, i don't care about the stuff that works good, i care about
that which doesn't ;)

Do you see how that might make those of use reading your posts think
that perhaps you let your bisaes cloud your judgment, and to thus
perhaps dismiss your comments just a little bit?

Well, i've seen what i write as "fair and unbiased". It's just my
opinion (of which I'm usually pretty sure that it's right, but that
doesn't mean anything).

Please, no offense intended, I'm just pointing out something I've

None taken. I like these mailing lists, because i learn something new
every week, and because it helps finding out about things i wouldn't
have learned otherwise. (e.G. the V6R1 beta thread - i was told by my
superiors that we don't and never will have access to it. And now it
seems like this is going to work out! Isn't that cool?)

observed. I'm certainly not immune to bias myself. In fact, I'm
clearly biased in my love of the System i. But then again, these are

So far, i've hated every platform i've had enough experience on to
hate it ;) But maybe that's just a different approach on dealing with
problems.

Thanks and greetings!

Lukas