I used IP addresses when pinging to avoid DNS issues. When the AP is connected to the switch, ping gets results; when the AP is connected to the Netgear router, ping gets no response.

Booth Martin wrote:
I am curious if it is perhaps a DNS issue. Are you using an IP address and not a name? can you ping the IP?

Peter Dow (ML) wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm not a network expert, and I have the following setup:

DSL modem connects to Netgear router which has a static IP address of 10.1.1.1. Three of the NG router's 4 LAN ports are connected to a 1GB switch, a Netgear wireless access point (static IP address of 10.0.0.5) , and a fiber optic transceiver that connects to another campus. The proxy server PC has two network interface cards (NICs), both connected to the 1GB switch. The proxy server NICs have static IP addresses of 10.1.1.2 and 10.0.0.1. PCs on the LAN specify the proxy server (10.0.0.1) as their gateway, DNS server and proxy server.

DSL modem --> Netgear router (10.1.1.1) --> switch --> (10.1.1.2) proxy server
| | | |____________________| (10.0.0.1)
| | |
| | |_________ PCs (10.0.0.n)
| |
| |__________Netgear wireless access point (10.0.0.5)

|_________> FDDI -> FDDI -> hub -> PCs (10.0.0.n)

|_____Airport wireless repeater

Airport wireless repeater --> switch --> PCs (10.0.0.n)

I hope that comes through. The intent is to isolate the initial Netgear router on its own subnet (10.1.1.n) so all the PCs have to go through the proxy server to get to it.

Everything works fine except the Netgear wireless access point. PCs that connect via this device are unable to see anything on the LAN, including the proxy server.

If I attach the Netgear AP to the same 1GB switch the proxy server is connected to, it works fine.

What am I missing? Do I need some sort of static route in the Netgear router for this to work?

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /