From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of David Gibbs
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:24 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] Odd experience with an invalid system date

I'm in the process of restoring my system from a recent backup ... the
reason for the restore is quite odd.

I was playing around with some GPS software ... and accidentally clicked
an option in the software to set the system date to the GPS calculated
date (GPS's depend on having highly accurate clocks).

The date that was set, however, was January 1st, 1899. Clearly the
software has some problems.

Once the date was set, all hell broke loose ... software started
cashing, Zone Alarm went into unregistered mode, Symantec AV crashed,
and half a dozen system services crashed.

Even after I reset the date, the system wasn't right ... system services
would still crash during startup.

I tried rolling the system back to a recent restore point ... but the
restore software said it couldn't perform the restore (I tried several
restore points).

I'm quite perplexed as to why this is happening ... I just hope that
restoring to my 3 day old backup will be sufficient. I really don't
want to have to reinstall the system from scratch.

Anyone have an idea why the system date getting reset would cause so
much chaos? I can understand ZA going into unregistered mode, but why
would everything else crash? And why would it things continue to crash
after the date is reset?

david