On 7/11/07, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks John. I've been pricing notebook PC's. Newegg has some Acer's for
about $500 that have looked interesting. The come with either Intel or
AMD CPU's. The down side is that they only have 512MB of memory but from
the reviews that I've read performance gets reasonable once you upgrade
them to a GB or more, which makes sense. Basically, I'm looking for
something to take with me for GPS in the car, copy digital photos to, and
Internet access. I'm on a tight budget. I also feel better if I don't
put a lot into it in case anything should happen to it.

I just saw an ad yesterday for an Acer from Radio Shack with an Intel
1.6GHz processor for $399, still with only 512MB. For an extra $100 it
might be worth it to get a faster CPU to increase its useful life. All of
the Acer's seem to come with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW, 80GB hard drive, and Vista
Home Basic (which I could do without). I do have an unused copy of XP-Pro
that I could install instead. Right now I'm just shopping for the best
bang for the $$$.

Anybody know how upgradeable the notebook CPUs are? I imagine it's quite a
different animal than opening up a desktop and swapping a CPU there.

- Dan