From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Alan
Sent: Thu 26-Apr-07 10:40 PM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" (for snoops that is)

Computerworld on Microsoft's scratch-cards activation idea:

http://tinyurl.com/3d2zua

Their abomination of Microsoft Genuine Advantage has been trying to get
itself on my older XP machine, and I just close the window, but I'm
concerned that one day one of the younger set in the household will
download it.

I know that not one piece of their software on there is pirated.

The article says that "Windows Vista
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/inform.do?command=search&searchTerms=Microsoft+Windows+Vista>
owners, for example, can be forced by Microsoft to reactivate an
already-activated PC, while Windows XP users *can't permanently disable
WGA's
<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012762>*
anticounterfeit notifications."

That clinched the decision on my next PC, which will be a Mac. Unless by
some miracle Linux appears.

--Alan