From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:34 PM
To: pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] PcTech Digest, Vol 5, Issue 23

pctech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

   1. Re: Moving a hard drive w/ a Gateway-installed OEM
Windows    XP
      to a new mobo (Dan)

A final update to this thread...

Got the PC up and running by reinstalling using the Gateway
CD.  That
got rid of the BSOD, but when I tried to logon, XP made me
reactivate,
but the online reactivation failed.  I figured that was the Gateway
OEM not being allowed on a new mobo.

I'm not sure how many total reasons I have, but this is a big
one for why I'm not upgrading _anything_ beyond Win2K unless
absolutely necessary. As far as I can recall, I bought
licenses for every copy of Win2K that I use; it's not like I
want to clone illegal copies, I mean.

You'd think that such 'activation' could at least be allowed
on a temporary basis. You could get your system up and
running, and then make a phone call to get permanent
activation later. SOMEthing should work, but straight refusal
via online activation is ridiculous.

I'm moving to a new PC for example. Built from components a
while back. Doesn't have a modem (so I set up via USB
temporarily). Took a while to download/install AVG, ZoneAlarm
and some others, not to mention fixes from MS.

Now, the basic ZoneAlarm went on before I ever connected to
anything outside my home network; there's no way I was about
to stand for connecting to MS to go through any "online
activation" when any number of networking issues _could_ have
caused it to be a lengthy process. And I know from experience
that you can be nailed in a couple minutes if you aren't
double-covered when you connect.

Win2K is my final stop on the MS road.

...which is part of why I'm posting this. First, to rant.
(Ahhhh, feels good.) But second, to find out for certain --

How long can you run WinXP without "activation"? I use XP at
the office, but I don't have to maintain it.

Tom Liotta
--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users