Rick,

Any information/advice on the above questions or anything I haven't
thought about would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on where you live, you may want to go the wireless route instead
of the underground cable suggested by some in the thread.  I live in FL, and
am told that running network CAT5 underground between buildings is like
putting up a sign for lightning strikes which says "Kick Me".  Using fiber
optic converters on each end eliminates that, but they are spendy.  And you
can use  network surge suppressors on each end, but I don't think that is as
safe as just using wireless.  If you live in a locale where lightening is
not as prevelant, you may be fine for a long time without doing anything
special for protection with an underground cable.  I've just been told to
avoid it where I live.

For that distance, I'd suggest using a high gain directional antenna on the
side with the access point.  Another option is to drop in a standalone
access point in repeater mode just insde the closest wall of the second
building.  In repeater mode you just need power to the AP, and it receives
the signal from the sending AP then re-broadcasts it.  This should increase
the coverage inside the second building as you have already gone the first
distance and brick walls, leaving only the interior of the second building.

Or do both, if necessary.

Doug