Hi Steve,

This is an error that's occurring on an SMTP server. Outlook is receiving the error from the SMTP server and printing it on the screen, so that you know about it -- but it's not actually an error in Outlook itself.

The error message means that the SMTP (outgoing) e-mail server that you're sending the message to is not configured to send mail to the e-mail address you've chosen.

In a typical configuration, you set up an SMTP server to do two things:

a) To queue and forward any messages that come from trusted IP addresses.
b) To accept inbound e-mail for the domains you're responsible for.

For example, my e-mail server for ScottKlement.com will queue and forward any e-mail address if it comes from my computers, my wife's computer, etc. However, if you're not one of those trusted computers, it'll only accept mail from you if the destination address ends in "@ScottKlement.com". A non-trusted IP address can't send to Aol.com, Yahoo.com, Midrange.com, etc. That way, a spammer cannot use my server to relay e-mail for them.

In a business scenario, it'd work the same way. An SMTP server would relay messages only for IP addresses that belong to that business, or for inbound e-mail that's destined for that business.

An ISP works that way as well. Aol.com's e-mail servers only allow outgoing e-mail for people dialed into their internet service, and only allow incoming e-mail if it's destined for aol.com (or another domain that they control.) You get the idea.

It sounds to me like either you're using an outbound server that doeson't trust your IP address, or that there's a misconfiguration in your outbound server. Or perhaps you have host table entries that are causing e-mail to be routed to the wrong server, though that'd be a long shot...

Hope that provides some insight.