booth wrote:

What are your plans for January when AVG is purchase only? Looks kinda pricey to me, for 4 machines.

Rick seems generally correct that the free AVG will continue to be available, though I got a slightly different understanding than he after I searched through their website and licensing writeups.

I only found one certain and one potential significant change from what I remember before.

The blatantly obvious change is that there's a new release. No surprise there, but it troubled me that this was a _required_ release and there was no good way to ignore it.

The other change isn't so clear, not even clear if it really happened. This part is personal interpretation and memory only...

I thought their 'free' licensing was a bit looser previously. They weren't exactly encouraging you to run AVG-Free on your home PC and your laptop and the old PC that your significant other uses and the kids PC and any other odd system you had lying around, but they weren't particularly concerned about it.

Now, they're pretty specific. You can run a free copy on one PC. (Technically, although the wording doesn't make exact sense to me, that one PC can't even be on a "network".)

If you have it on two PCs, then the second one should be a paid license.

This part is personal paranoia...

When combined with the forced upgrade, it makes me wonder if this isn't preparation for enforcing paid licensing. If two "free" copies exist on my network at home for example, enforcement might consist of one copy shutting down.

This part is just personal IMO...

As for what _I_ was going to do about it, I was gonna buy a license.

I've used some competitors and AVG has been as good as any I've used. They've been good to me and my systems, and I simply felt it was time to start paying. Their product has been very unobtrusive. It installs _and_ uninstalls every time I ask. I haven't had a hint of infection since starting to use it a few years ago. The auto-update has been flawless.

I really have _NO_ complaints.

IMO, they've earned it.

Tom Liotta

rick baird wrote:
Norton's a pig.

I know of very few people who spend as much time on-line as I do, and
I've been using free versions of AVG, Zone Alarm and Spybot tea timer
for more than 3 years and have never once had a virus or any other
breach of security.