On 11 Oct 2006 at 14:32, Carmen (Carmen Nuland <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>) commented
about Re: [PCTECH] Home office design:

I have to agree about the outlets ... You can never have too many.  Our home
office is set up with two sets of 4-plex on the one wall where the computer
desk
was going to be.  I really would like to have a UPS system, but for now I'm
just
using individual surge protectors.  Make sure you have all the wires you think
you'll need run through the walls before the drywall is on. I would have liked
to have CAT installed to a couple of other rooms in the house - not just the
office, but it sounds like too much work now.

It really isn't that hard to run wires inside the walls.  If you have the right
tools it makes the job a lot easier.  One tool that can be a big help is called
the WallSnake.  You can get it at:
http://wallsnake.com/
If you don't feel like doing it yourself there are people that specialize in
running wires inside walls.  If you live in Southern California I know someone
that is very reasonable.

Gary Kuznitz

Not just home office design, but general house...
Phone lines should be in every room - even those you don't think you'll use a
phone; and don't forget the garage (we did)!  Speaker wire is another thing to
think about before the drywall goes up; we knew we couldn't afford to buy
speakers for every room right away, but we ran wire to specific spots in every
room, marked it on a "map", and just drywalled over.  Now, we can slowly buy
as
we can afford, and cut the holes in the ceiling to install the speakers where
the map indicates; if you leave enough cable slack, you don't have to have
your
holes exact to the position of the wire.

Our "office" is really another bedroom - complete with a small closet.
Since we weren't going to be storing clothes, my husband installed shelves, so
we have paper and printer supplies, extra cables, photo albums, and anything
else I can squeeze in there.  It's nice to have all that tucked away and
hidden.
Carmen