I had the same problem Rick. I just bought a chair and couple of tables and made an ell. Now I want a bookcase and a file cabinet, but thats about it. Also, I have the kind of power strip that goes under the monitor. That works pretty well, too.

rick baird wrote:
While we're on the subject, I'm in the process of creating my own home office.

I've only got about a 12x11 space, and I want more of a workcenter
than just a desk.

I've been all over town at office supply stores, furniture stores,
everywhere, looking at stuff, websites, etc, and there seems to be
just two choices:  well designed but cheaply built junk, or less well
designed but well built and very expensive stuff that mostly goes in
to million dollar homes in rooms that no one will really do any real
work in.

does anyone know where can i find some reasonably priced but well
designed office furniture?

I'm looking for a corner hutch type of thing, with plenty of flat desk
space and storage.  For the space i'm filling, I don't need or want
$4000 worth of furniture in a 120k house.

I can probably go as high as $1500.  The best place on the web I've
found is, of all places, Staples website and this stuff:

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=SS990065

at the bottom of this page, (look for "bush master simulator") they
even have a handy little web app to draw out your office and add the
modular components to build your office, and then it'll give you a
parts list to order with.

Using that tool, I've  a pretty decent layout for my space, and the
price is reasonable, but I have no idea about the quality of this
stuff - is it all particle board crap?  I have no idea, it might be
nice, but they don't have any in stock at my local staples.  plus, I'm
not sure I like the way it looks.

Any ideas?

Rick