There is a minimal disk that does work on the older hardware.

On 8/25/06, Jon Paris <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Honestly, just install Ubuntu. I have been using a little bit and it
much easier than Debian alone. Ubuntu is based on Debian.

That is exactly what I stared out doing - I tried it on a couple of PCs
liked it - but the live version of Ubuntu won't boot on this machine.  I
admit I haven't checked for a version with a conventional install - maybe
that should be my next stop.

I chose Debian because it was one of only two distributions I could find
where there was evidence that it would work with this old laptop - which
only has 96Mg of memory.  alinux is also supposed to work with it - but
goodness knows how since their iso image requires an 800Mb CD and even if
could find one I don't think the PCs Cd reader will handle it.  I suspect
that it was an earlier version of alinux that was installed.

Other choices such as Ubuntu, Knoppix and FreeSpire all just hang during
boot process.

Jon Paris

This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
or email: PcTech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx