Dial up works fine for me dialing in to work and the BEST I connect at is
28.8!!!!

I am connecting to the system via Citrix via CA

I do ensure that nothing else on my PC is running application wise and its
workable for short periods (1 hr or so) that I need.

On 8/11/06, daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> $40/month is too expensive for the volume I'll use this for.  Plus all
of
> the additional equipment costs.  And the employer won't compensate for
it, I
> already asked.  I guess they assume everyone has broadband nowadays.  I
> guess I can be a stinker about it and hope that they'll change their
> policy.  It doesn't seem right that they expect me to have this access
as
> part of my responsibilities and to have to pay for it.

It might be a pain but use dial-up (I'm assuming that your employer offers
a dial-up option if they are requiring you to be on call).  Unless you
were
working more than a couple hours a week from home I'd say that if you want
broadband then you should have to pay for it yourself.  I REALLY wouldn't
pay for the neighbor's broadband just so you could be on call.  I also
wouldn't depend on the neighbors for your broadband access.  Suppose they
provide a wireless connection for you and somebody hacks their home
network?  Are you responsible?  If you can't get a signal can you go
snooping through their house and try new places for the access point?

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Dan
                      <dan27649@xxxxxxx        To:       "PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users" <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      om>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [PCTECH]
Secure? Installing a wireless router at next door    neighbor's
                      pctech-bounces@mi         so I can surf
                      drange.com

                      08/11/2006 01:56
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      PC Technical
                      Discussion for
                      iSeries Users

On 8/10/06, Jones, John (US) <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Booth is right.  Reselling the cable broadband service will almost
> certainly be a TOS violation.

OK, hadn't thought about that.  I'll have to check the TOS to be sure, but
would I be able to sit in her living room with my laptop and use it?  Is
"reselling" it the issue?  What if I asked her to let me use it for free,
and the beer fairy will start delivering 12-packs at her doorstep every
month.  Good beer, of course.  What if, what if, what if.

How is the cel phone reception at your father-in-laws?  Get a data card
> for your laptop or get a cel plan that lets you tether the cel phone to
> the laptop & use the cel connection for data.  If you get EvDO or EDGE
> speed it's about as good as decent DSL and still supports VPN, etc.
> Sprint's phone-as-modem plan is $40 a month on top of whatever your cel
> minutes cost and it includes unlimited data, legal tethering, and any
> other data your cel can work with (streaming audio/video, email, SMS,
> browsing, whatever).  It's a complete data plan for your cel device +
> your laptop.  I use it with a Treo 700p and because I have it solely for
> work usage, work reimburses me for the expense.

$40/month is too expensive for the volume I'll use this for.  Plus all of
the additional equipment costs.  And the employer won't compensate for it,
already asked.  I guess they assume everyone has broadband nowadays.  I
guess I can be a stinker about it and hope that they'll change their
policy.  It doesn't seem right that they expect me to have this access as
part of my responsibilities and to have to pay for it.

-Dan
--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users (PcTech) mailing
list