Sure.  If I give you references to 3 "Email Gurus" will that convince you of
anything?  If I give you references of 15 "Email Gurus" with that convice
you of anything?  Is there one particular "Email Guru" that you will trust
the opinion of above all others? What exactly will this accomplish?

I'm sorry... have I offended in you in some way?

I have been using text-only e-mail clients on a Unix machine for a long, long time. They don't execute Javascript. They don't reply to return receipts. They're not capable of executing an attachment -- even if you click on it -- they only know how to save it to disk. They're not capable of following a link to a web site or even opening up a browser to do so.

Since they run on a Unix machine, they're not susceptable to 99% of the viruses out there, even if they did try to execute them, because these viruses are all targeted towards Windows.

You came along and said that Pegasus was THE SAFEST e-mail client out there. I thought to myself, "nahhh, it can't be as safe as the way I do it, can it?" So I asked. Have you compared it to ELM? or Mutt? (These are some of the aforementioned Unix text-only readers.)

You seemed to take offense and reply with sarcasm to everything I've posted since then. Why is that?

Take a look at one of the security sites like http://secunia.com/ and check
the advisories Pegasus Email over the years.
[SNIP]
The link for WinPMail is http://secunia.com/product/5565/ and it shows
only one hit over the years, none unpatched.  You can compare this to
the other email systems pretty easily.  For example, OE6 has 21 hits with
8 not fixed.

I don't even have to go to secunia.com. I can go to www.pmail.com, and it says on the front page "Dec 2005 - Urgent: Secunia exploits".

The one Secunia exploit was a very crtiical one, it enabled an attacker FULL SYSTEM ACCESS to your machine from a remote location. That's the worst kind of exploit.

Again, I'm not saying that Pegasus is insecure or that it's bad in any way -- my complaint, as I said in my first message to you, was with the wording "the safest".

There's no question that it's safer than Outlook Express. Heck, laying down naked in the middle of a busy highway is safer than Outlook Express. I'd also guess that it's safer than Eudora, Thunderbird and Lotus Notes, but I don't have any data to back this up. This is why I asked you for sources.

I don't use those clients, though. So knowing that it's safer than those doesn't make it "the safest" in my mind. I agree with you that it's a good tool and I said this in my first message to you. I question whether it's really THE SAFEST, which in English means "Safer than all known e-mail clients", and that's nearly impossible to determine or prove.

When it comes down to it you are probably going to use either what you
have been using for years and are comfortable with or what your
company says you have to use.  I'm not trying to convince you to switch
to Pegasus.  I answered the original email in response to someone that
was concerned about spammers getting their information.  Pegasus is a
solution that allows you to be in control.

Guess what? I don't disagree with you that it's a good, secure, tool. I do disagree that it's "the safest", and I've made this clear from the start of this thread.

I think we've both made our points. Can we declare this thread dead, now?