John:

All of that is fine, but it seems outside of what I was thinking of as being
related to 'firewall' for this thread. When I connect to the internet (from
home through any of my ISPs), I don't have to do any kind of surfing at all to
get into situations where a firewall is useful.

I don't have to do anything in terms of running a program to do internet work.

I can sit and watch my firewall logging rejection after rejection of external
attempts to access my home network. Now, this is what your hardware firewall is
doing as well, so it _doesn't_ apply exactly to you. This is purely a
discussion for completeness. Hopefully, even if some attempt gets allowed
through my firewall, my regular security updates of machines on my network will
provide additional protection.

I prefer in-depth security. I have a software firewall active on every PC at
home regardless of any firewalling done by my ISP (as if) and any
router/firewall.

I made a one-time mistake a couple years ago of connecting a PC via dialup
without a firewall. A Win2K upgrade destroyed some drivers and I had to install
a modem card to get a connection. That allowed me to run Windows Update to get
to a rational state where I could do the rest of what was needed (such as
install ZoneAlarm).

Within minutes, I had been infected by a variation of... hmm... can't recall
which virus, it was hitting all over for months back then. The point is that it
had nothing to do with safe-surfing. I connected to EarthLink, then to
Microsoft (and yes, I know how dumb _that_ sounds in a discussion of "safe
surfing" and firewalls.) If I didn't have to use dialup, if I could've gotten
Win2K to install what I needed before connecting, it probably would've gone
much better.

I just wanted to be sure I was understanding when you connected the 'safe
surfing' and 'no need for a firewall for my PC' concepts.

BTW, I also quit letting Flash and similar things install on my regular PCs.
(And getting rid of them once I decided to quit was no picnic.) I do have a
sacrifice-PC that has the basic ones installed.

Tom Liotta

pctech-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My household is made up of adults.  Not that kids can't surf safely, but
we recognize the potential consequences of our actions.  Anyway, age
aside the crux is that we know better than to go to suspicious sites,
read spam & follow the links, download software from unknown sites
without some 3rd party recommendation/verification, etc.  I use Firefox,
don't load Flash, and block popups.  My wife uses IE but she rarely goes
to more than about a half dozen regular sites like Yahoo for email.  Our
OSes, web-related apps, and MS Office are kept current WRT security
updates.