To: "PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users" <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Laptop, wi-fi, VPN, no firewall -- what's safe?

This can get complicated quickly and this is based on what I understand.

Using unencrypted WiFi is normally okay as long as you are using a secure
connection to connect to your personal email accounts and other "private
things" you may look at.

If the VPN was setup properly, they are using a secure connection and you
are okay. If they aren't using a secure connection, then anyone can sniff
the traffic you are sending to work.

The laptop should have the firewall installed or enabled. If it isn't
enabled, theroretically someone could hijack your laptop and use your
connection to your workplace to... well... do what they want. The firewall
on Windows XP is normally good enough to keep most people out.