On 5/25/06, David Gibbs <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dan wrote:
> The C: drive has a public share, but all folders in the root
> directory except for \Windows has sharing turned off.

Well, sharing the C drive will open up everything below it ... unless
you specifically are excluding access from "Everyone".

???  Are you talking about the Permissions button on the Properties/Sharing
tab?  When I click that, I get "This has been shared for administrative
purposes. The permissions cannot be set." On the Properties/Security tab,
"Everyone" has nothing checked in either the Allow or Deny columns; the
Advanced display shows that "Everyone" has Read & Execute permission for
"This folder only".  Perhaps I should change "Everyone" so that everything
is denied?  Also, does "Everyone" really mean "everyone except groups or
users also listed"?

The \Windows folder has a share named $ADM for "remote admin".  So
> that would appear that everything except the Windows folder is safe
> from intrusion.  Hmmm.

Not sure how risky that one is.

The fact that you're sharing your C drive would give me pause.

> The network support gurus are looking into getting the Symantec
> firewall installed.  Already have Symantec AV installed.  Updates and
> scans run on a schedule.

Windows firewall is better than nothing.

Option to turn it back on is grayed out.  I am at the mercy of the network
support gurus on that one.

- Dan