Gee, at my university in the MBA program they *give* us laptops (at least
for the duration of the program).  It's a Fujitsu Lifebook S series.  It's
small and lightweight.  Believe me the weight is an issue when you're also
lugging around books with it.  I had a Dell Latitude at work for the past
three years until the hard drive died a few weeks ago.  It's huge and heavy
compared to the Fujitsu.

Both look a little skimpy on memory.  1GB would be better.  The processor
speeds both seem a little slow.  I'm more in tune with desktops but for the
money I would expect 2.5 - 3.0 GHz.  Can you get your hands on them before
you buy to see which has a look and feel that's more to your liking?  If
not through the school then go shop around at Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp
USA, etc. and check out similar models there.

Are they including any software?  Mine has Office 2003.  If not, you should
be able to obtain it at the student discount rate.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Michael Jacobsen

                      <MJacobsen@first-        To:       pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      online.com>              cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [PCTECH] Laptop choice

                      pctech-bounces@mi

                      drange.com

                      05/24/2006 01:16

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

I am going to be purchasing a laptop for graduate school and the school is
offering a couple choices through them.  I was wanting to know what you
guys think.  Here are the choices:

IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T43
Intel Mobile Pentium M760 2.0 Ghz
512M RAM
60GB Hard Drive
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
64MB ATI Radeon X300
14.1-inch 1024X768 LCD
Intel 802.11 a/b/g Wireless
Integrated 56K modem and 1GB ethernet
Secure Chip and Fingerprint Reader
6-cell Li-Ion Battery
Windows XP Professional
Three year Warranty/One year Battery
4.9 lbs
$1,534.00

OR

Dell Latitude D620 Intel® Core? Duo T2300 (1.66GHz) 667Mhz Dual Core
Genuine Windows® XP Professional, SP2, with media
Standard Touchpad
14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel
Internal English Keyboard
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950
512MB, DDR2-533 SDRAM, 1 DIMM
60GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
No Floppy Drive
Dell Wireless? 1390 802.11g Mini Card
24X CD-RW/DVD w/ Cyberlink PowerDVD?
6 Cell Primary Battery
3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
Weight unknown at this time.
$1,133.00

What would you choose?  I'm leaning toward the IBM mostly because of the
brand name, but the Dell being $400 less is tempting, too.  I've never
owned a laptop before either so that's why I'm looking to see what you
guys think.

-Mike