(moved from CPF0000)

On 5/16/06, Jones, John (US) <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I swapped my cable modem from the POS from Comcast to a D-Link DCM-202 (
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=323 ) to move up to DOCSIS 2.0 and to
save the monthly cable modem rental.  Other than power cycling the
SunRocket gizmo, I didn't have to do anything.  (BTW, the new cable
modem upped my download speed significantly.)

I'm using Charter and, with the alumni package we have ($33 for 3Mb/256Kb),
the modem rental is included.  Not at home right now so I don't know the
model, but it has never given me trouble.

Thanks for mentioning DOCSIS 2.0.  I googled it and learned a bunch.  That
might be worthwhile for me to check into, especially since I still have the
modem supplied to me when I signed up for the 512Kb download service.  Since
I upgraded to 3Mb, I have been very impressed with response time -- I could
*never* go back to dial-up now -- and have never formally tested download
speeds (however, Firefox shows a "real-time" speed rating that is usually
extremely high), but perhaps this might be worth looking into.  $38 after
MIR at Amazon.  Anybody know of better?

- Dan