On 2/8/06, Booth Martin <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not in your area code?  They're everywhere aren't they?  It is ip-based,
> after all...?  They can give you a phone number for most any area code
> you'd like, as I understand it.

I'm guessing that for you to keep your number or even to have a "local"
number, Vonage would have to have a local "presence", a switching station
that can take the IP traffic and turn it into POTS traffic.  Unless SBC does
it out of the kindness of their hearts, I think it costs a few bucks to set
one of those up.

Now, if I didn't mind having a number out of another area code, say I have a
bunch of relatives in the Detroit area, I could get a number that is local
to them, and they could call me as a local call, even though I'm 100 miles
away.  (I think you already figured out this advantage, didn't you?)

- Dan