Walden,

I'm virtually certain that I never entered an admin password at any
point in the life of this installation - I installed XP on a fresh
drive last summer, and just recently (sunday) took that hard drive and
moved it intact to a new motherboard/processor.

If I did set it up with a password last summer, I know what that
password would have been. so I'll try that.

Rebooting did not bypass sign-on.  that was the first thing i tried.

True, I guess logging off to another profile would be useful, but the
operating system should know that I have not setup ANY profiles.
none, nada, zilch.

normally, if there are multiple profiles, they are listed on the
welcome screen, and you click on the one you want.

the only profile listed is administrator, and as far as I'm aware, I
never gave it a password.

anyway, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.  When I get home
tonight, i'll try them and let you know how it goes.

Incidently, moving an installed disk to another PC intact was quite an
experience.

We discussed doing this a couple months ago here, and there aren't
explicit instructions on how to do it anywhere on monkeysofts website.
 I trusted the directions provided by an anonymous website I found,
and it worked pretty much as they said it would, but I was very
worried it would wipe stuff out and I'd have to re-install everything.

no problems with that - If anyone is considering doing the same thing,
I can help out there.  You HAVE to do it just right, or it will not
work.

Rick