Hmmm...  I'm wondering if the "wall warts" were required because of one of
the following:

1.  Interference issues of having power and data running on the same USB
cable.
2.  The external device either exceeded the 100ma spec or used enough power
that the manufacturer didn't want to overtax the PC power supply with their
external device (think either old PC's or notebooks).
3.  They didn't think they could depend on the quality of power from the
USB cable.  USB was a bit flaky when it was first introduced.
4.  The cost to handle devices exceeding the 100ma spec far exceeded the
cost of using an external power supply.

I know that I've heard of external power supplies being used instead of
internal ones because if it were internal then the whole device would have
to conform to FCC or UL standards, or something to that effect.  When the
power supply is external then only the power supply has to conform.

About 5 years ago I bought a USB drive cage that I really liked.  It took a
standard PC power cable and had an internal power supply to transform the
120 volts AC to 12 volts DC.  It was real handy to take places.  A year
later I bought another one and they had changed the design to use an
external power supply which was a bit more cumbersome.  That one stayed
parked and hasn't really been moved since.  That was the last one of those
that I bought.  A USB-powered one would be even better.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Booth Martin

                      <booth@xxxxxxxxxx        To:       PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users
                      om>                       <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      pctech-bounces@mi        Subject:  Re: [PCTECH] USB
power?
                      drange.com

                      12/29/2005 12:16

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

Here is a link that discusses the choices of power:

http://tinyurl.com/9arab