First: no, I don't have to compare a Windows server to an iSeries server,
because I don't see a valid reason to run a Windows server in an iSeries
shop, except maybe as a file server.  Instead, there are dozens or even
hundreds of those little virus-infested XP desktops littered throughout the
office.

(And by the way, as far as I know the Sony rootkit spyware worked on Windows
servers as well as desktops, but I'm not certain of that.)

Second, if you "assume" that a legit profile can be had, then all bets are
off on any machine.  As long as the legit profile has enough rights, you can
do anything.

(Of course, if you set up single sign-on and then put your SSO server on a
Windows machine, you are in effect giving away all your passwords, since we
know the Windows machine can be busted, but that's why putting SSO on a
Windows box is goofy.)

No, the right thing is to start with the assumption that all you have is
standard access to the machine through public network access.  If you have
an unsecured wireless network, you've got a different set of problems than
if you have a firewalled system that only allows port 80 HTTP access to a
DMZ machine.  But even in the latter case, if the DMZ machine is a Windows
machine, any number of buffer overrun exploits have been found that can, in
Microsoft's words, allow a malicious user to take control of your computer.
There never has been a single reported buffer overrun exploit on the
iSeries, whereas Microsoft sends out patches nearly daily fixing theirs.

Let's repeat that, just in case I wasn't clear: THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A
BUFFER OVERRUN EXPLOIT ON THE iSERIES.  I don't understand how a Windows
advocate can keep a straight face and say how Windows is comparable to the
iSeries in security.  It's simply not true.

Finally, as to a keyboard logger: if you have that sort of thing on your
network, you've lost control of your system and your IT manager needs to be
fired.  In addition, anybody using that sort of software must be arrested
and brought to trial.  To allow felonies as the standard assumption, well
heck, all I have to do is kidnap the IT manager and torture the password out
of him, maybe make him watch Springer episodes 24/7.

Joe